FEI Helios Nanolab 650 Dualbeam Focussed Ion Beam Workstation and Scanning Electron Microscope
Location: 422 Space Research Building
Contact: John Mansfield , Kai Sun or Haiping Sun
Instructions: Helios NanoLab Online Documentation
Acknowledgments: Publications resulting from work on this instrument should acknowledge the support of the University of Michigan College of Engineering
- FIB, SEM, XEDS (2D & 3D), EBSD (2D & 3D), CryoSEM
- Electrons: Landing energy 50V to 30 kV
- Ions: 0.5kV to 30kV
- Electrons: 0.8 pA – 26 nA
- Ions: 0.1 pA - 65 nA
- Schottky Field Emitter
- Secondary Electron Imaging - Everhart-Thornley Detector (ETD)
- Secondary Electron Imaging - Through-the-lens Detector (TLD)
- Backscattered Electron Imaging - Concentric Backscatter Deetector (CBS)
- Scanning Transmission Imaging - STEM Detector (STEM)
- Ion Imaging - ICE Detector (ICE)
- NavCam - CCD Camera for sample navigation
- In chamber viewing via CCD TV camera
- EBSD - EDAX Hikari 450 pattern per second capable OIM Camera
- X-ray - EDAX Apollo XL 30mm² UTW silicon drift detector
- 0.8 nm @ 15 kV (TLD-SE)
- 0.9 nm @ 1 kV (TLD-SE)
- 4.0 nm at 30 kV using preferred statistical method
- 2.5 nm at 30 kV using selective edge method
XEDS System & EBSD
- EDAX XEDS and EBSD system integrated into the Support PC
- Insulator Depoistion
- Omniprobe Autoprobe 200
- AutoFIB, AutoTEM, 3DEDS, EBS3, Slice and View
Specimen Preparation Papers of Interest to Users
- Platinum Deposition - FEI's Technical Note on platinum deposition in the DualBeam FIB.
- H-bar technique - "Microscopic studies of semiconductor lasers utilizing a combination of transmission electron microscopy, electroluminescence imaging, and focused ion beam sputtering."
R. Hull, D. Bahnck, F. A. Stevie, L. A. Koszi, and S. N. G. Chu - App. Phys. Lett., Vol. 62, No. 26, 28 June 1993.
- H-bar technique - "In Situ Studies of the Interaction of Dislocations withPoint Defects during Annealing of Ion Implanted Si/SiGe/Si (001) Heterostructures."
Eric A. Stach, Robert Hull, John C. Bean, Kevin S. Jones and Ahmed Nejim - Microsc. Microanal. 4, 294 - 307, 1998.
- Fold Out Technique - "New FIB Fold-Out Method for TEM Cross-Section Sample Preparation."
Herman C. Floresca, Jangbae Jeon, and M.J. Kim - Microsc. Microanal. 14 (Suppl 2), 1006-7, 2008.