JEOL 3100R05 Double Cs-Corrected Analytical Electron Microscope
Location: Room G032, Building 22 of The North Campus Research Complex
Phone: +1-(734) 764-2938
Contact: John Mansfield or Kai Sun or Haiping Sun
Instructions: This instrument is operated as a high resolution STEM only. If you require high resolution TEM you should use the JEOL 3011 or the JEOL 3100R005. The JEOL instruction manual for this instrument has useful sections and illustrates the layout of the controls. However, it is included here for reference only, indeed, there are a number of service functions listed in the manual are NOT to be performed by users. As with all EMAL instruments, users should be instructed on instrument use by EMAL staff. The most useful document for users of this instrument is the CsCorrector User Manual.
New users should download this document and study it prior to a staff training session on the instrument.
Webcam: JEOL 2100F Webcam
Acknowledgments: Publications resulting from work on this instrument should acknowledge the support of NSF grant #DMR-0723032
Analytical Electron Microscopy: Analytical Electron Microscopy is a generic term that is applied to any study where a variety of analysis techniques are used within one particular microscope. These techniques typically include X-ray Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (XEDS), Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy (EELS), Selected Area Electron Diffraction (SAED), Convergent Beam Electron Diffraction (CBED), Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy, and Scanning Electron Microscopy. These techniques are briefly described in the glossary.
- Cs-Corrected Imaging and Spectroscopy
- XEDS, Parallel EELS, Imaging Filter, SAED, CBED, STEM, HAADF STEM, HREM, Diffraction Contrast Imaging
- 0 to 200 kV (50 V steps)
- Zirconated Tungsten (100) thermal field emission tipn
- Gun ~1.0 x10^-9 torr
- Column ~1.0 x10^-7 torr
- CTEM 0.10 nm lattice / 0.0.19 nm point-to-point
- STEM 0.10 nm Cs-Corrected HAADF (high angle annular dark field)
- Horizontal Ultra-thin Window Si-Li X-ray detector (active area = 30 mm^2) capable of detecting elements with Z >5.
- EDAX r-TEM Detector with EDAX acquisition software
- Gatan #863 Tridiem Imaging Filter (GIF) for electron energy loss spectroscopy and imaging.
Image Acquisition & Analysis System
- Gatan Ultrascan 1000 CCD TV camera for high resolution imaging (above the GIF)
- JEOL Single-Tilt Stage
- JEOL Double-Tilt Analytical Stage
- Gatan #646 Double-Tilt (x=±35 degrees, y=±35 degrees) Low Background (Be) Stage with Faraday cup.
- Gatan #636 Double-Tilt (x=±35 degrees, y=±35 degrees) Low Background (Be) Liquid-Nitrogen Stage.
- Gatan #652 Double-Tilt Heating Holder with a maximum operating temperature of 1000 degrees Celsius.
- Free lens control, fully independent control of all lenses.
- TEMCon PC control software.